Spigot search settings application is a part of the Spigot Toolbar. The application installed as a part of other programs (e.g. YouTube Downloader) and the executable file “searchsettings.exe” runs in the background and checks periodically your default search provider (in your internet browser program e.g. internet explorer, Firefox, etc.) and restores it to Yahoo search, in case you agreed. The application informs you for changes made, using a pop-up window, but does not give you the option to disable this feature.
I noticed that since “Spigot Search Settings” was installed, it always runs in the system’s background.
Personally I don’t like unneeded applications running in windows background and always I remove them.
If you will to remove the Spigot Toolbar from “Add/Remove programs in control panel, you will realize that “Spigot Toolbar” doesn’t exist in the list of programs.
To remove Spigot Search Settings proceed to these steps:
Step 1: Remove Spigot entries from control panel
1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel
Win XP new Start menu Win XP Classic start menu:
Start > Control Panel Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double Click on “Add or Remove Programs”
3. In the installed programs window, select “YTD Toolbar” and press the “Remove”
4. Confirm to uninstall, and let the system proceed with the “YTD Toolbar” removal process.
4a. Also uninstall “IOBit Toolbar” if exists.
5. When the removal process finishes, restart your computer.
Step 2: Check if Spigot Search Settings continue running in the background.
As soon as windows are restarted, check for “Spigot Search Settings“ instances on your computer:
1. First check if “Spigot Search Settings” continues to run in the background. To do this:
1a. Press simultaneously “Ctrl + Alt + Del” and choose “Task Manager“.
1b. At the processes tab list, check if “SearchSettings.exe” exists.
If “SearchSettings.exe” doesn’t exist, the “Spigot Search Settings” application removal was completed successfully. If not, proceed to next steps:
2. Select “SearchSettings.exe” and choose “End Process”
Step 3: Remove Spigot folder from Program Files.
1. Open Windows Explorer and go to this path: C:\Program Files\Common Files.
2. Inside that folder delete the “Spigot” folder.